M, #501, b. 29 January 1842, d. 5 March 1930
|Father||Charles Loiterton b. 13 Mar 1808, d. 2 Aug 1882|
|Mother||Susannah Buffham b. 17 May 1810, d. 29 Apr 1895|
|Relationships||2nd great-grandfather of Robert Mote|
2nd great-grandson of Charles Loiterton
|Birth||29 January 1842||Charles Loiterton was born on Saturday, 29 January 1842 at Lutton, Lincolnshire, England.|
|He was the son of Charles Loiterton and Susannah Buffham.|
|Marriage||4 June 1861||Charles Loiterton married Ellen Sheather, daughter of John Henry Sheather and Ann Ingram, on Tuesday, 4 June 1861 at Cobbitty Paddock, Camden, NSW, Australia, The wedding was held at the home of Mr Charles Loiterton (senior) and permission was given by both Mr C Loiterton and Mr John Sheather for the wedding to take place, as Ellen and Charles were under 21 years of age. Charles' sister, Mrs Mary Ann Campbell and her husband John witnessed the wedding by Charles Waters who was the officiating minister, according to the rites of the Primitive Methodist Church.1|
|Death||5 March 1930||Charles Loiterton died on Wednesday, 5 March 1930 at Cootamundra, NSW, Australia, at age 88.|
|the Cootamundra Herald, Cootamundra, NSW, Australia||5 March 1930||Charles Loiterton had an obituary appear in the Cootamundra Herald, Cootamundra, NSW, Australia, on Wednesday, 5 March 1930 as follows: |
One of this district's oldest and most esteemed settlers, Mr Charles Loiterton, aged 88, passed away peacefully shortly after 9 o'clock this morning.
For the past twenty years he had taken things easily, after hard and successful toil on the land, and latterly was living with his son, James (also retired), in Queen street. A week ago deceased suffered a stroke and thereafter, at his advanced age, little hope of his recovery was entertained.
Deceased's wife died in Cootamundra seven years ago, at the age of 72. Her maiden name was Ellen Sheather, sister of Messrs. Ike and Steve Sheather of Cootamundra. They married in Camden 69 years ago, and came to Cootamundra in the year 1871 - 59 years ago. Deceased and his only brother, John, selected property known as "Lincolndale" and "Rosemont" adjoining each other, at West Jindalee. Will Loiterton, one of the sons, now resides at "Lincolndale".
The family comprise: John (deceased), Charles (deceased), James, William, Reginald (deceased), Alice (Mrs Jas. Manning, Stockinbingal), Anne (Mrs A Armstrong, Cootamundra), Louisa (Mrs R Mutch, Cootamundra), Sarah (Mrs C Lines, Laura), and Rose (Mrs A Cranfield, Cootamundra).
Deceased's only brother, John, survives him, living in Hurley street, and is 88 years of age. He has two sisters surviving him, Mrs New of Goulburn, aged 85, and Mrs Clayton of Auburn, aged 80 years. A family of long livers, indeed! Another sister, Mrs Campbell (eldest) passed away 20 years ago, aged 69 years.
Grand children number 62, and gret-grandchildren, 87.
The funeral leaves Mr James Loiterton's residence at 2pm tomorrow, for the Methodist cemetery.
The subject of our notice was born in Lincolnshire (Eng.), and came to Australia with his parents at the age of 12. The parents settled in Camden.
Present day active workers for the Show Association will be interested to learn that the "grand old man" of our district joined the association at its inception, and was a committee man for many years, and remained a member all his life.2
|History||Charles Loiterton was involved in the following historical reference: |
The little school at West Jindalee played a significant part in the lives of the Loitertons. Apart from the obvious connection with the family in that it was the school that many of the children attended, some of the parents were Involved in establishing the school and attended functions such as picnics in its grounds in later years.
In May 1885, Mr.G.O'Byrne, the District Inspector, went to Jindalee West to investigate the possibility of erecting a public school on the Crown site just past Charles Loiterton Snr's property. It was thought that the site was too close to the existing school at Jindalee, as it was likely to take away 14 of their pupils. To be legally complied with, the application had to select a site at least 4 miles from the present school. There were more than 40 children of school age who would attend the new school. Charles Snr's daughters Annie, Ellen and Louisa and John Loiterton's sons Robert and Arthur were among the list of potential students. Up until this time they had been walking a little over two miles across the paddocks each day, to attend the Jindalee School located on the eastern side of the road and railway track that links Cootamundra and Wallendbeen. Charles' daughter Sarah Jane and his brother John's son Ernest George were also approaching school age. A meeting of interested persons was to be held at Charles' home a few days later. At this subsequent meeting, Charles and two others were elected to a committee to co-ordinate the erection of the school building and a Mr John Johnston was named as the secretary or correspondent. A centrally located site consisting of 2 acres on Mr. J.A.Sharrock' s selection was finally agreed upon for the school. This site was one and a half miles from the first site considered and was 7 miles from Cootamundra. It was resumed by the Department of Instruction at a cost of £8-0-0.
In October of the same year tenders were accepted for the school, and the work was to commence at once. Falconer Bros. of Cootamundra were awarded the contract to build the school, which was to be large enough to accommodate 40 pupils. The specifications for the school stated that " .... the building to commence with, will be a room of 20ft by 16ft, with fireplace, furnished with all necessary appliances, with 2 closets on the ground, and the whole enclosed with a substantial two-rail fence." The single room was to be 10 feet high and ceiled with half inch pine. The single room had a door at the front with a window each side of it, and had a galvanised iron roof. A fireplace and chimney would heat the building during the winter. Students were to sit on wooden forms behind four long desks either 9 feet or 9 feet 6 inches long. At the front of the room stood the teacher's table and chair. The only other furniture in the room was a bookpress and two shelves. Although the original cost of the school was initially not to exceed £100, the total final cost of the building arid furniture was £140. It was found that it was not possible to build and furnish the school for £100.
The building had been completed by January 1886 and was ready for the new school year. John Johnston wrote a letter to the District Inspector indicating that the school was ready for inspection and requesting that a teacher be appointed, preferably female. It was to be many years before a female teacher set foot in the West Jindalee School.
The school opened on 15 February 1886 with Mr Henry Frazer having been appointed as its first teacher. There was no residence on the school grounds and as a result the teacher was paid a rent allowance of 5 shillings per week. It appears that Henry Frazer had been unable to pay overdue rent to his previous landlord at Deua River, near Araluen. After receiving a letter from the landlord, the Department wrote to Frazer stating that it was not creditable that a complaint of this type be made to the Minister. In his defence, Frazer indicated that he had left his violin with the landlord, and that he would pay when arrears in his salary were received. He was prepared to send the £6 when his violin was forwarded.
In November of this first year, John Johnston wrote to the District Inspector requesting that 2 dozen hat pegs be supplied for the school as the children had no choice but to have their "hats thrown in a heap on the floor". He also requested that a sewing mistress be appointed to the school as there were a good number of girls attending. The hat pegs were duly supplied at a cost of 13/6 with an additional 10/6 being the cost of having them installed. They were not so successful with their other request as "the Department does not supply teachers of sewing to a 9th class school". A second request was made for a sewing teacher in April 1886, this time by the teacher, Mr Frazer. He stated that "the parents are expressing great regret at the loss of time the elder girls are experiencing for want of instruction in this most important branch of female education". Miss Edith Roberts, a local 20 year old, was subsequently employed to teach sewing to the 22 girls attending the school.
Later that same year, it appears that the teacher, Henry Frazer, had been asked to explain some problems that the Inspector had noticed on his visit to the school. The Inspector had found that the lesson register had not been completed for a fortnight, that the quarterly return had not been sent, and that Frazer was not adhering to the prescribed method of having his students answer questions. In his defence Frazer stated that he had been busy clearing the school grounds of stumps, felled trees, bushes and other rubbish in preparation for the Inspector's visit. He had worked from the time he released his pupils until 6 o'clock each day on this task and had forgotten to take care of these other duties. Frazer 's letter continues:
"In response to the children not observing the prescribed method in answering, I generally have the class on the floor in a circle for reading, spelling and meanings, the quickest answer gets the first place, and as I have found this method made the children more anxious to learn their lessons than the method of holding up their hands I adopted it, as I found there was no need of the cane in getting them either to mind their books, or speak out, which is the great failing of bush children."
Frazer was severely reprimanded for his neglect of the school records, and he was told to be more careful in future to adopt the prescribed method of answering.
Frazer was again in bother in the July of the following year after another visit from the Inspector. In his letter of explanation he claimed that the Inspector came at a most unexpected time and that he was not prepared with his records. He stated that the reason history was not being taught to third class was that he had no books. He said also that he had lost his head when the Inspector asked about object lessons. In reply, the Chief Inspector recommended that Henry Frazer be severely reprimanded, fined £2-0-0 and that his classification be cancelled if on any future occasion his records and school documents were found to be in arrears.
The fence that had been mentioned in the initial specifications for the school was not erected until October 1888. The top rail and 5-wire fence was erected by Joseph Mutch at a cost of £19-5-0. Until this time the school building had stood alone in a large paddock. A few years later Joe was to marry Charles and Ellen's daughter Annie who had attended the school until a year or two before the fence was erected.
What was perhaps the school's first picnic was held at the West Jindalee School in September of 1887. A large marquee had been erected in the school grounds and there was a large gathering of parents. The school had grown to a total enrolment of 40 pupils at this time, although the average attendance was only around 36. Food was laid out on tarpaulins spread on the grass among the silver wattle. The children took part in games such as rounders, swinging, racing and jumping and competed for prizes supplied by parents and the teacher. After tea, those present gathered in the school room to be entertained by dancing, jig, hornpipe, songs and recitation. Ellen Loiterton was one of the parents present who assisted in the various arrangements. In spite of his earlier bother with the Inspector, it appears that Henry Frazer was popular with the parents. They were happy with him as a teacher of their children and spoke his praise in addition to expressing satisfaction with the results he had obtained from his pupils. Mr Frazer appeared to enjoy his work and spent the day entertaining the parents and children in the manner in which he conducted the various arrangements on the day.
Henry Frazer was granted a transfer to Tocumwal Public School in 1889. He was 34 years old at that time and had been teaching for 11 years. Charles Young was appointed as the new teacher. The school was closed for 2 days the following year to allow him to get married. He married John Loiterton' s daughter Susannah Mary on 17 September 1890. Charles was to remain at the school only until early in 1891.
The school was temporarily closed in May, 1890 because of the prevalence of diphtheria, influenza and other epidemic diseases. Charles' brother, John, lost his 10 year old son Ernest at this time due to diphtheria.
John Crozier was appointed to replace Charles Young and the school was again closed for a week in 1892 to allow him to get married. John's wife began teaching needlework at the school shortly after they were married. At this time the school population had diminished dramatically as many of the children were over the age of 14 and had stopped attending. It also appeared that there were few younger children taking their place and by the end of 1893 the average attendance had dropped to 13.
Charles and Ellen's daughter Sarah left the school in July of 1893, after being issued a "Certificate for being Sufficiently
Educated". She was 13 years old at the time.
The West Jindalee Public School held a break up and distribution of prizes in June 1894. Ellen donated a special prize for the best writing. Daughter Rose was the prizewinner for general proficiency in 3rd class. Before dismissal, a quantity of apples, supplied by Ellen was distributed among the children.
George Johns was appointed as the new teacher in August of 1894. He was far from impressed with the accommodation his predecessor had been using and wrote to the Department to complain. The house was 2 miles from the school and the rental was 10/6 per week. He described it as a bark hut with a roof that leaked in 15 places, and stated that it was a disgrace for any teacher to live in. The house was dilapidated and was described as "a bush hut in poor repair". The house consisted of two rooms 12 feet square, and it had slab walls and a bark roof. The hut was ceiled with calico and the walls had been papered. There was a verandah on the front which had a small 4 foot square room which served as a pantry and store. A shed with a bark roof but no walls was located at the back and Mrs Crozier had used this as a wash house. The house, belonging to a Mr Sheather, had been sold to John Loiterton a year or so later when Johns again wrote to the Department complaining about its dilapidated condition. He claimed that during windy weather it was impossible to keep a candle alight inside the house. He added that during the recent drought they were actually using water that he and his wife carted from a stock dam containing dead sheep. John Loiterton had refused to make any repairs to the house and had stated that he wasn't concerned whether Johns rented the house or not as he could easily get a man to take the house.
Early in 1896 the West Jindalee School was under threat of closure. The Department decided that unless the school was able to maintain an average attendance of at least 12 for the current quarter then the question of closing it would have to be considered. A new school was being proposed at Morrison's Hill at this time which would also have had an effect on enrolments at West Jindalee.
Johns left the school in 1696 and was replaced my a Mr Thomas Gilmore. Gilmore owed money to many people in the town and they had to resort to writing to the Department in an attempt to recover it. In 1897 a verandah was erected on the school building, an extra window was installed and general repairs and painting carried out. Parents had complained that the school was very hot in summer.
Gilmore received an allowance for cleaning the school, and had promised to pay two students, Maud Roberts and her friend for sweeping the floor. He failed to keep his promise and they had to resort to writing to the Department in order to get their money. Gilmore was also in bother with the Department on other counts and in 1898 it was recommended that his teaching classification be reduced. His work had apparently not been up to scratch at a previous school and he had been called upon to show cause why he should not be dismissed from the Public Service for misconduct. He had been absent from duty without authorisation, had not always forwarded school fees and had shown neglect in replying to official communications.
In 1898 John Loiterton's son John (10), Charles Loiterton Snr's son William Henry (12), and Charles Jnr's children Eliza (12), Emma (10), Sydney (8), Steve (7) and James (6) were attending the school. The families were so large that father and son both had children at the same school at the same time. At this time there were children from only 9 families attending the school. Seven of the 25 pupils were Loitertons, representing 3 different families. Charles Jnr.'s daughter Maud was to start school at the start of the following year.
The school's first and only female teacher, Miss Nay Starling, was appointed in April 1901. She was to remain there until 1904. School fees at the time were 3d per week.
Matthew Hickey was the school's teacher in 1905 and was unfortunate enough to contract Typhoid fever. The school appeared to be in its dying throes in the years that followed. In 1907 with only 14 pupils remaining at the school there was a proposal to reduce West Jindalee to a half time school in conjunction with Dudauman School. A petition against this move bore the signatures of R.H. Loiterton, A.J. Loiterton and C. Loiterton. In 1915 an application for the establishment of a provisional school at West Jindalee bore the names of A.J. Loiterton (children Roy Wallace (12) and Lindsay Gordon (10)) and W.H. Loiterton (children Edith Florence (5) and Henry Charles (4)).
Apart from the fact that the school eventually closed and the building has long since gone, its final fate is unknown. It appears, though, as if it closed its doors at some time after 1907.3
|Ellen Sheather b. 12 Oct 1846, d. 21 Jul 1918|
|Charts||Pedigree Chart for Robert Mote|
Descendant Chart - Charles Loiterton
Descendant Chart - Stephen Oxford
Descendant Chart - Thomas Sheather
|Last Edited||22 Aug 2011|
- [S2] Index of BDM records, NSW BDM, Place of Marriage Registration: Camden, Registration Year: 1861, Registration Number: 1550.
- [S22] Ian Douglas Loiterton, A Loiterton History, page 52.
- [S22] Ian Douglas Loiterton, A Loiterton History, page 54.