John Joseph Campbell
M, #1023, b. 1838, d. 20 March 1928
|Birth||1838||John Joseph Campbell was born in 1838 at Kurnol, India.|
|He was the son of Patrick Campbell and Margaret Riordan.|
|Marriage||17 March 1859||John Joseph Campbell married Mary Ann Loiterton, daughter of Charles Loiterton and Susannah Buffham, on Thursday, 17 March 1859 at Cobbitty Paddock, Camden, NSW, Australia.|
|Marriage||4 June 1861||John Joseph Campbell witnessed the marriage of Charles Loiterton and Ellen Sheather on 4 June 1861 at Camden, NSW; The wedding was held at the home of Mr Charles Loiterton (senior) and permission was given by both Mr C Loiterton and Mr John Sheather for the wedding to take place, as Ellen and Charles were under 21 years of age. Charles' sister, Mrs Mary Ann Campbell and her husband John witnessed the wedding by Charles Waters who was the officiating minister, according to the rites of the Primitive Methodist Church.1|
|Death||20 March 1928||John Joseph Campbell died on Tuesday, 20 March 1928 at Beecroft, NSW, Australia.|
|Burial||He was buried at cemetery, Bowral, NSW, Australia.|
|1 January 1863||Wingecarribbee (now Bowral), NSW, Australia||His wife, Mary Ann, followed him a couple of moths later|
|Bowral, NSW, Australia||John Joseph Campbell had an obituary appear in Bowral, NSW, Australia, as follows: OUR OLDEST PIONEER.|
At the ripe age of 91 years, Mr. J. J. Campbell, an old and highly honoured pioneer of Bowral, passed away on Tuesday last at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. W. Miller, of Beecroft. Mr. Campbell arrived in Bowral in January 1863. He was a carpenter and built many of the older houses and buildings in the town. It is said that his own house, which long stood near the corner of Bong Bong and Bowral Sts., was the second house built within the town boundary. The old Methodist Church was one of the buildings built by him. Mr. Campbell was Mayor of Bowral in 1889, when the town hall was built and his name appears upon the façade. He was one of the founders of The School of Arts, and had part in many of our local institutions. A man of stirling worth and unimpeachable honour, his name was respected far beyond the town in which he lived. After a life of great usefulness in this community, he retired to the city many years ago and there spent his declining years. But he never forgot the old town and when " The Mail" was printing reminiscences before " Back to Bowral Week," one of the most interesting letters came from his pen. Mrs. Campbell pre deceased him some 19 years ago.
" The Mail" Friday-March 23rd. 1928.
Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Miller wish to convey their sincere thanks to all friends for their kind expressions of sympathy on the occasion of their recent bereavement in the death of Mr. J. J. Campbell.
The funeral of the late Mr. J. J. Campbell at Bowral cemetery was largely attended. Old friends came from all parts of the district to pay the last tribute of respect to his memory.
|Occupation||John Joseph Campbell was the first carpenter in Bowral.|
|Article||He built his own house, the second to be built in Bowral. It was a small wooden cottage at the southern end of Bong Bong Street which was demolished in 1920/21 to be replaced by Gregory's Garage.|
|Article||He was the successful tenderer to build the first hospital in Bowral. The tender was for £883 and the building later became part of the nurse's quarters.|
|Article||He was the Mayor of Bowral for 1889/90 and 1893/94.|
|Article||18 May 1889||He officially lit the first gas street light in Bowral (one of 25).|
|Article||22 January 1890||He opened the new Bowral Council Chambers.|
|Article||26 May 1896||As a Justice of the Peace, he heard the first charge to be brought in the new Bowral Court House. The charge of insobriety against John Quigg was dismissed, owing to the special circumstances of the occassion.|
|Article||12 November 1926||He gave the following details in an interview.|
Mr. Campbell, now resident near Sydney, (Beecroft ) was an old resident of Bowral and built many of the early houses.
Beginnings of Methodism. The land comprising the township of Bowral and the surrounding district was a grant from the crown to Mr. Oxley, grandfather of Mr. H. M. Oxley, now so well known in the town.
Settlers began to come to the town and district about the year 1862 and Mr. Campbell thinks the first land sale was held in that year. Mr. Campbell himself came to Bowral from Camden on 2nd. January, 1863.
Perhaps the best method of furnishing information would be to supply the answers to certain questions asked in a recent issue of the Southern Mail.
The first settler in Bowral was Mr. Faulks, who came from Camden and built a public house and store in 1862 on the land where the Presbyterian Church now stands. Mr. J. J. Campbell built the second house in the town - a small wooden cottage in the Southern end of Bong Bong St., where Gregory's garage is now situated. I am enclosing a photo of this cottage which was demolished only about 5 or 6 years ago.
The first Anglican minister to preach in Bowral was Rev. Hassal, who came over from Berrima and conducted service in a stone building, which stood where the Public School now stands. This was about 1863, when the people were beginning to come in some numbers.
The first Anglican minister appointed to Bowral was the Rev. G. Middleton.
The first Methodist example ( Wesleyan Minister ) to preach here was Rev. S. Wilkinson, who came across from Camden in 1863 and used to conduct service in a bark hut situated where the Mail office now stands. These services, however, were not regular. The first Wesleyan Minister really appointed to the locality was Rev. George ( afterwards, Dr. ) Lane. The circuit was named Berrima and the minister lived in that township. The circuit was called in succession, Berrima Nattai, Mittagong and finally Bowral in 1888. Rev. J. Bowers in 1870 ( and his successors ) continued to live in that town till 1882, when Rev. T. R. McMichael removed to Bowral, which then became in reality what it had been virtually for some years before the head of the circuit. The name of Bowral, however, was not given to the circuit until 1888, as stated before.
The first Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bowral was built by Mr. Jacob Ward, probably in 1864. It was a weatherboard church or chapel, as the people of that day called it, and was built in Bendooley St. It was afterwards removed to the back of the allotment to make room for the brick church to be built in 1881 and recently vacated. Here it did duty as the Sunday School, and has recently been removed to the Annesley College Grounds. The parsonage in Bendooley St. was built in 1884. Both the parsonage and the brick church were built by Mr. J. J. Campbell. ( The brick church 1881).
The first Primitive Methodist Minister was Rev. Jabej Ashmead, and the first church was situated on Oxley's Hill.
Later on a weatherboard church was built in Bong Bong St. This is now the home of the Four Mails.
The first livery stables proprietor was Mr. James Comer, and his stable was situated where Mr. J. Goodfellow now has his auction rooms.
The first baker was Mr. John Mealing, and the first butcher was Mr. Terry.
The first brick maker was Mr. G. G. Willis, who made the bricks for Charker's hotel about the year 1863 in the southern end of Bong Bong St. opposite where Gregory's garage now stands.
The first timber merchant was Mr. H. Pain.
The first carpenter was Mr. J. J. Campbell, who built his own house in 1863 ( second house in Bowral. )
The first carter was Mr. Wilson.
The first chemist was Mr. East.
The first bricklayer was Mr. Tom Little.
The first saddler was Mr. Porter.
The first newspaper was published by Mr. Webb and was called, "The Bowral Free Press."
The first building on the hospital block was erected by Mr. J. J. Campbell to the plans of Mr. H. Kent. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Carrington, Governor of N. S. Wales.
The quarries were first worked by A. M. Leggit, from Melbourne, who in the first instance bought from Mr. Eli. Beer some immense boulders of trachyte, which lay on his ground, and from all accounts astonished the natives of the place by the neat, clean and rapid method by which these unwieldy and apparently useless stones were cut into building block size. Mr. Leggit afterwards turned his attention to the Gib.
When it was constructed, the old railway tunnel at Bowral was the longest in N. S. Wales.
A boy of 14 years received 12 lashes in Moss Vale lockup on 15th December, 1886, for indecent assault.
The sight of the Catholic Church in Bowral was decided upon at a meeting on 25th October 1886.
|Mary Ann Loiterton b. 1840, d. 14 Mar 1909|
|Charts||Descendant Chart - Charles Loiterton|
|Last Edited||11 Apr 2008|
- [S2] Index of BDM records, NSW BDM, Place of Marriage Registration: Camden, Registration Year: 1861, Registration Number: 1550.